Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Aretha Franklin: Halle Berry was 'not my only choice'

Aretha Franklin: Halle Berry was 'not my only choice'

Actress Halle Berry arrives at the Golden Globe Awards Sunday, Jan. 16, 2011, in Beverly Hills, Calif.

By Matt Sayles, AP
Aretha Franklin had said she would like Halle Berry to play her in a biopic being written now.

But Halle Berry was modest in an interview with E! during the Golden Globes, saying, "If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."

Now Franklin has responded to that, issuing a response to Wendy Williams on Monday, saying:

"I would have liked Halle Berry to portray the older Aretha in the upcoming biopic of my life based on my memoir Aretha: From These Roots. She was my first, but not my only choice.

Everything is subject to negotiation and she shouldn't underestimate her own talent. There are a number of other leading ladies out there that can definitely handle the role."

She continued: "I never expected Halle Berry to sing, she's an actress, not a singer. Many actors have portrayed vocalists by lip-syncing to the artist's original recordings."

Williams put her two cents in, suggesting Angela Bassett, Jennifer Hudson, Queen Latifah or Taraji P. Henson could handle the role. What do you say?


usatoday

No comments:

Post a Comment